Recent Fire Damage Posts

Fire Clean Up

12/1/2020 (Permalink)

Fire damage in home This fire occurred locally while the home owner was out of town. Luckily SERVPRO was there to board up the home until the owner got home.

With any size fire it is our goal at SERVPRO Brighton/Howell to turn a fire damaged home into a safe, clean living environment. Making as if, "it never even happened!" 

To do this, we require our crews to be properly trained, which is why every member on our crews is IICRC Certified! Each crew member attends multiple classes throughout the year, which provides three days of training and testing. Its important that we take excellent care of your home, making sure that each personal item is cared for and treated properly. Each home is different which makes it important that our crews have the best knowledge for every situation they are put in. 

You can trust and rely on SERVPRO Brighton/Howell. We are here to help you! 

Soot Damage

12/1/2020 (Permalink)

Soot on wall Here is an example of a wall tested for soot damage. As you can see, this needed additional cleaning.

With house fires, it's important to remove all of the soot which leaves the smell of smoke behind. Our technicians always start by testing a small area on a wall to find the best way to remove the soot off the walls. In this photo, it shows the small area tested. There are many ways for our SERVPRO technicians to clean the walls, but it is important to test and recognize the best way to properly clean without damaging paint, or wallpaper. 

Its always important for SERVPRO to take the best possible care of our customers belongs. Whether it's a child's toy, a family heirloom, or an old dresser. At SERVPRO Brighton/Howell we care, and work to make sure your items are cared for in the best manor. 

Fire Hazards

7/14/2020 (Permalink)

Kitchen Fire Here is a photo from a kitchen fire!

Every year SERVPRO of Brighton/ Howell and  is called out to address fires that begin in the garage and that is why we try to educate homeowners on possible fire hazards.  Most of these fires are caused by electrical shortages/ malfunctions or by improperly stored flammable liquids.  This fire was caused when a charging station was placed on top of an appliance with flammable liquid inside, the heat from the charger ignited the liquid. 

Follow these simple tips to keep your family and home safe.

·      Store oil, gasoline, paints, propane and varnishes in a shed away from your home.

·      Keep items that can burn on shelves away from appliances.

 ·      Plug only one charging appliance into an outlet and don’t use an extension cord when charging an appliance.

Types of Smoke

7/14/2020 (Permalink)

Many people don't know this but there are different types of smoke.

There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Brighton/Howell will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:

Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber

  • Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.

Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood

  • Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.

Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire

  • Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor. 

Fire Damage

7/13/2020 (Permalink)

Fire Here is a photo of a local fire, prior to SERVPRO coming to help.

Fires can happen to anyone, at any time. Sometimes our customers are able to identify how the fire got started, other times it is unknown. The was fire depicted is one that SERVPRO of Brighton/ Howell was called out to help with. It is believed that the fire started in the garage, however, the cause and origin was unable to determined.

The house and its contents sustained heavy soot and smoke damage, and the family lost their car as well.  Our crew spent several weeks on site helping the family sort through their belongings and helping them restore the items that could be saved. No matter how big, or how the fire is started SERVPRO of Brighton/Howell is here to help you and your home! 

Fire Aftermath

7/13/2020 (Permalink)

Soot Damage Here is a photo showing the damage from soot.

A house fire can be one of the worst experiences someone could go through. After the flames are put out is when SERVPRO of Brighton/ Howell can step in and help you! One major causes of damage is smoke and soot. Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.  

Smoke and soot facts:

  • Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
  • Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
  • The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.

Fire Specialists

11/3/2019 (Permalink)

Cleanup of fire damage is not the job for a do-it-yourself property owner. The entire process can be very overwhelming for a homeowner, and SERVPRO is here to help! Its important to remember that while physical damage is obvious, the odor and soot clean up is difficult. Different fire sources require different cleaning procedures to return a residential or commercial property to its preloss condition. Restoration of a property can be very complex and proper smoke and odor removal are tasks that require experienced technicians that are certified in these specific areas. All of our technicians are IICRC certified and have studied the best techniques to restore your home! Don't wait or try to handle this damage on your own, call your fire specials at SERVPRO! 

Livingston County Garage Fire Clean-up

11/3/2019 (Permalink)

Every year SERVPRO of Brighton/Howell is called out to address fires in our county. Many of these fires start in the garage. Most of the fires are caused by electrical shortage/malfunctions or by improperly stored flammable liquids. Its important to stay safe! Follow this simple tips to keep your friends and home safe from possible fires: 

  • Store oil, gasoline paints, propane and varnishes in a shed away from the home. 
  • Keep items that can burn on shelves away from appliances 
  • Plug only one charging appliance into an outlet at a time. Don't use an extension cord when charging an appliance. 

If you experience a garage fire let SERVPRO of Brighton/Howell help you! Our team is certified, trained and prepared to bring your home back to like, "it never even happened!" 

Fire Damage

6/25/2018 (Permalink)

In the case of a fire, let SERVPRO of Brighton/Howell help you!

A fire is one of the worst experiences someone can go through. Not only do we have to deal with the emotional loss, but the loss of our belongings. As you begin the restoration and mitigation process let SERVPRO of Brighton/Howell be one of your first calls. Our team is certified, and trained to work under these high pressure situations. Our crews try their very best to save precious family heirlooms, important photos, documents or whatever the homeowner needs. 

In the photo, you can see that the damage went into the structure of the home. Our SERVPRO crews are IICRC certified and prepared to go into every pocket of the home to remove soot, and the smell of smoke. We are truly there to help you during this time!